by Carolina Beltrán, Digital Media Supervisor
I”ve gotten so many inquiries this week about video advertising. What”s going on? You want to promote that Harlem Shake video you did. Am I right?
Today, we”ll talk about your options with Google/YouTube, but know there are other video sharing websites out there offering advertising opportunities. Since YouTube is the #1 online video destination, we”ll start with it.
To start advertising your video, you”ll need to load it into your YouTube channel first. Once that”s been done, you have four video advertising options available through Google AdWords (where video advertising campaigns are created and managed). Collectively, the four video ad options are called TrueView – they”re a family of ad formats where you pay only when a viewer chooses to watch your ad, not when an impression is served. This enables folks to watch more ads they find interesting and fewer ads they find less so. With TrueView, everyone wins: Viewers choose ads that are relevant to them and you reach people who are keen to hear your message.
So without further ado, here”s what you need to know about each TrueView format:
TrueView In-Stream Ads
- In-stream ads play like a TV-style ad before, during or after another video from a YouTube partner.
- Viewers see 5 seconds of your promoted video and then can keep watching or skip it.
- You pay if they watch for at least 30 seconds or to the end of the video (whichever is less).
TrueView In-Search Ads
- Your video appears in a special promoted section of the video search results pages on YouTube and Google video results.
- You pay only when a viewer chooses to watch your video.
- Type a popular search such as “smart phones” into the YouTube search box to see a sample ad
TrueView In-Slate Ads
- In-slate ads show before YouTube partner videos that are 10 minutes or longer.
- Viewers choose to watch one of three ads (yours included) or see regular commercial breaks during their video instead.
- You pay only when viewers choose to watch your video.
TrueView In-Display Ads
— You pay only when a viewer chooses to watch your video.
— How your ad appears depends on the publisher – a YouTube “suggested” video is shown in the picture.
Have a video you want to start promoting? Contact me at email@example.com